Posted: Oct 30, 2019
What you need to know
- Following a busy exhibition schedule, the Heat women open up their conference season this weekend in Winnipeg against the Manitoba Bisons.
- UBCO went 7-2 during their preseason slate, including wins against conference foes, MacEwan and Trinity Western.
- Manitoba finished 10-11 last season and fell in the first round of the Canada West playoffs.
GAME TIMES (PT)
FRIDAY, NOV 1st
SATURDAY, NOV 2nd
- It was an extremely busy September and early October for the Heat women as they played nine preseason contests. Four of those games were at home and three of the five were in Ontario at the historic Naismith Classic.
- After two victories over Lethbridge College, the Heat would capture four victories against Canada West opponents. Taking down the MacEwan Griffins twice in Kelowna, and the Trinity Western Spartans twice in Langley.
- The only two defeats in the preseason for UBCO happened in Ontario against Saint Mary's from the AUS and the OUA's Laurier Golden Hawks.
- Fifth-year forward Jordan Korol is back for her final season in a Heat uniform and is looking to build on arguably the best season in Heat women's basketball history.
- The product of Coldstream, B.C. was named the Sylvia Sweeney Award recipient by the Canada West conference for her outstanding athletic achievement along with academic success and community service.
- On the court, she became the first Heat player ever to average a double-double at 13.2 points a contest along with 10.2 boards.
Rookies to watch:
- Six first-year players feature on this year's roster, including Kelowna's own Jaeli Ibbetson and Vernon's Kelsey Falk. Both Falk and Ibbetson will be expected to produce in a lineup that has just six players returning from last year's roster.
- In the backcourt keep an eye on college transfer, Alessia Brutto and Lucy Faba, a first-year player from Calgary. Both players are gifted playmakers, Faba is more of a north-south point guard and Brutto has a flair for the dramatic.
Head to head with the Bisons: (2-3)
- These two teams have met just five times in conference play, with the last game back in December of 2017. In Kelowna, the Bison' captured both of those meetings and have won the last three. UBCO won the first two in the series, one of those first two wins was the only time they have met at the University of Manitoba an overtime thriller, (75-71 OT) on Dec. 1, 2012, in Winnipeg.
- The Bisons played five games during their exhibition slate, picking up their sole win in early October against the Lakehead Thunderwolves.
- It was a fairly quiet preseason slate for Manitoba as they played just one Canada West opponent (Winnipeg) so far this season.
Players to watch:
- Guard Taylor Randall is the head of the Bisons attack and the fourth-year is coming off back-to-back All-Star seasons with the team from Winnipeg.
- Randall averaged nearly 17 points a game last season including a 33-point performance in the 2018-19 season-opener.