Professional Staff Opportunities
No openings at this time.
Student Staff Opportunities
Varsity Events Staff - Applications are currently closed for the 2021-22 season
With nearly 100 student positions to fill every year the athletics and recreation department at UBC's Okanagan campus is one of the largest departments to employee students on campus. Opportunities range from basketball referees for intramural sport to editing video from the Heat varsity home games. Working for the athletic department offers many challenges and opportunities that will enhance your on campus experience.
Hiring will take place throughout the year, but hiring is generally completed by August and mid-September at the latest. However, students with a passion to work for the Athletics department are encouraged to apply throughout the year.
- To see the positions and apply online, login to UBCO Job Board on CareerConnect: students.ok.ubc.ca/careers/services/jobs
- Pay depends on the position and experience.
Working for varsity athletics can give you an unbelievable opportunity to obtain real life experience with some or all of these skills:
- Event management
- Promotions and promotional campaigns
- Social media creation and engagement
- Writing, interviewing and copy editing
- Photography and photo editing
- Video filming and editing
- Video broadcasting and producing
- Web design and maintenance
- Public speaking
- Crowd interaction and control
- Sales and marketing
- Work with statistical databases
- Fast-paced data entry and game scoring
These skills would be an asset on the resume of any student, and these skills fit in especially well with those in the faculty of management who have a passion for sales, marketing or promotions and those in Human Kinetics who would also relish a career in athletics. For those with an appetite to work for UBC Okanagan Heat varsity athletics, please email Kevin Kraft at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Sport Club Assistant
Applications are currently closed for the 2021-22 season
UBC Okanagan is looking for friendly and enthusiastic students to join our awesome Athletics & Recreation team! In this leadership development position, Sport Club Assistant’s (SCA’s) will assist with competitive sport club team activity program planning and administration.
ATHLETICS & RECREATION DEPARTMENT
The Department of Athletics and Recreation at UBC’s Okanagan campus enhances the campus experience by providing engaging and active opportunities that contribute to each individual’s holistic UBC experience. The three pillars of program delivery are:
- Campus Community Engagement: Encourage the campus community to engage in Athletics and Recreation programming, developing campus spirit and a sense of belonging to UBC and the Okanagan campus.
- Healthy Lifestyle Initiatives: Connect the campus community to opportunities that will enable each individual to lead an active and healthy lifestyle enhancing one’s mental, physical, emotional well-being.
- Social Programming Opportunities: Provide the campus community with opportunities to participate in activities that will develop personal relationships, interpersonal skills, self-esteem and leadership.
The Sport Club Assistant student will receive direct supervision from the Competitive Sport Club and Community Program Coordinator. They will work in partnership with the Competitive Sport Club and Community Program Coordinator, the Athletics and Recreation department, and competitive sport club leadership; including student executive, coaches, and team management.
- Assist with supervision, training, and mentoring of team leadership.
- Participate in the interview process for team leadership.
- Represent and adhere to Athletics & Recreation protocols, policies, and procedures.
- Assist with team statistics and data management.
- Assist with set-up and take-down team supplies and equipment.
- Assist in the department’s Emergency Response, Risk Management, and Injury protocols.
- Be an onsite coordinator for team activities where applicable.
- Generate excitement and awareness on campus surrounding competitive sport clubs.
- Distribute and post key marketing materials, such as handbills, brochures, posters, and banners.
- Assist with social media promotions.
- Support on-campus marketing booths and events.
- Assist with program photography and videography.
- Present and distribute merchandise, uniforms, awards, promotional items, and prizes.
- Assist with competitive sport club orientation.
- Assist with team student executive training and implementation.
- Assist with the Heat Athlete Council (HAC), were applicable.
- Attend staff training sessions and team meetings, where applicable
- Program administration duties as required.
- Be enrolled at UBC’s Okanagan campus – All years of study are welcome to apply.
- Previous experience with Sport / Recreation / Leisure / Club programs (participant, member, staff, and/or volunteer).
- Good time management and communication skills.
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to work independently.
- Represent the Athletics & Recreation brand and uphold a high degree of professionalism at all times.
- Demonstrate independent thinking and quick problem-solving skills.
- Ability to lift and push equipment in excess of 50 lbs. (22 kg).
- Previous experience with UBC Okanagan Athletics & Recreation is considered an asset
- First-Aid / CPR certification(s) are considered assets.
- Knowledge of sport, recreation, event management is an asset.
- Term: September 1st, 2021 - April 30, 2022. Specific start and end dates will be determined by your supervisor, within these parameters.
- Ability to work approximately 150 hours (75 hours from Sep to Dec 2021 / 75 hours from Jan to Apr 2022). Distribution of hours will be discussed with the employee and determined by the supervisor.
- Hourly Wage starts at $15.50; increases available dependent on experience and performance
- Develop and enhance sport management, leadership, and administration skills.
- Develop and enhance communication, interpersonal, professional, and organizational skills.
- Gain personal satisfaction and growth.
- Gain experience working with other volunteers, student-athletes, and staff in a collaborative work environment.
- Ability to contribute and develop new programming ideas and initiatives.
- Invitation to attend the Student Leadership Banquet.