The UBC Okanagan Heat Athletics and Recreation department (‘UBCO Heat’) traditionally operates high performance junior programs as an opportunity for high school-aged athletes to be engaged with UBCO Heat high performance programming that endeavors to assist or lead in working with Okanagan athletes in preparation for the opportunity to pursue their sport at the post-secondary varsity level, whether it be at UBCO or other post secondary institutions.
In order to operate junior-aged rugby programming under the UBCO Heat structure, UBCO is considering the opportunity of programming that would be hosted in consultation, support, and partnership with all major community rugby stakeholders who are working with high-school aged players. UBCO Heat is looking for feedback from the stakeholders on the opportunity to supplement the athlete experience that currently exists.
- Supplement middle to high-school aged rugby player development within the Kelowna (and surroundings) community.
- Offer UBCO Heat high-calibre academy-based rugby programming.
- Run program offerings in alignment with the community.
- Create an integrated and balanced programming schedule with the community rugby leadership teams that will support athlete participation in all community rugby offerings (e.g. avoid overlap or similar programming happening at the same time, where an athlete may have to ‘choose’ between 2 or more community stakeholder offerings, where possible).
- Cross promotion of community stakeholder offerings through our marketing and promotional platforms.
- Program offerings can be used as a recruitment opportunity for university or community clubs, teams, etc.
- Encourage the sharing of resources, including athlete and coach development, equipment, lesson planning, etc.
- Compliment university and community rugby offerings through the integration of athletes and coaching staff into our programs.
- Offer a unique opportunity for high school-aged rugby players seeking future post-secondary rugby opportunities.
- Inform and discuss any upcoming scheduling, whether it be pre-existing or new proposals with community stakeholders.
- UBC Okanagan Heat Athletics & Recreation
- City of Kelowna
- Kelowna Crows (KRFC)
- Central Okanagan Rugby Enthusiasts (CORE)
- BC Rugby
- UBCO Alumni
- Local high school representatives
Jr. Heat Rugby - Spring Camps 2021
Jr. Heat Rugby, in it's inaugural year is hosting a Spring Camp in May! This camp is open for boys and girls in grades 9 through 12 and will be lead by the UBC Okanagan Heat Men's Rugby coaches and student-athletes.
| MORE DETAILS |
In order to mitigate the risk of COVID-19, UBC Okanagan Heat Men's Rugby have completed their UBC Safe Work Plan inclusive of Jr. Heat Rugby programming.
|COVID-19 Self Assessment||Prior to participation, all staff, and participants must complete their COVID-19 daily Self Assessment.|
|Return to Play Plan||Risk Management planning for our events is comprehensive. UBC Okanagan utilizes a UBC Safe WorkPlan that includes guidance from the University of British Columbia, ViaSport, Rugby BC, and Rugby Canada. Documentation is updated regularily.|
|Terms and Conditions||Terms and Conditions for COVID-19, course-specific, and UBCO Jr. Heat-specific are required by participants to follow. Terms and Conditions will be available as part of your electronic registration.|
|Waiver||A UBC Okanagan Jr. Heat Rugby-specific waiver will be required as part of your registration. Waivers will be available as part of your electronic registration.|
Be sure to tag us at: #ubcorugby
UBC Okanagan Heat Athletics & Recreation
A huge thank you to all our community partners and supporters. UBC Okanagan Heat Rugby supports the rugby community, both locally and provincially. Our university rugby program endeavors to supplement the programs and services offered by our community stakeholders. For those seeking non-university and/or community club information, click the logos below!