What you need to know
- After four consecutive home games the Heat women will take to the road when they travel to Calgary to face the Mount Royal Cougars in a two game set.
- The Heat are coming off a weekend in which they pushed the Lethbridge Pronghorns but were unable to capture their first win of the season.
- Mount Royal also comes into this weekend winless on the season (0-6) and are coming off a season in which they won just a single conference game.
GAME TIMES (PT)
FRIDAY, NOV 16th
Basketball (W) / Canada West Conference Game
5 PM PST | UBC Okanagan Heat (0-6) at the Mount Royal Cougars (0-6) | Webcast | Live Stats | Tickets
@ Kenyon Court, Mount Royal Athletic Centre, Calgary, AB.
SATURDAY, NOV 17th
Senior scoring duo:
- Both Jordan Korol and Vanessa Botteselle have been the workhorses on the offensive end all season for this Heat team as both are currently averaging career-highs in points per game.
- The fourth year Korol is averaging 15.2 points a contest on an efficient 56% shooting from the field while also snagging over seven rebounds a game for the Heat.
- Botteselle, who is in her fifth year of eligibility, is not far behind in the scoring department as she is averaging just over 14 points a game on the season.
- It has been a tough schedule early in the season for the Heat as the current records of the three teams they have faced is 12-4. This includes two undefeated teams in the Lethbridge Pronghorns (4-0) and the Trinity Western Spartans (6-0).
- The schedule should ease up a little in the coming weeks as while the next four games are on the road, the current records of Mount Royal and Thompson Rivers is 0-10 three weekends into conference play.
Head to head with Mount Royal: (9-5)
- The Heat's nine wins against the Cougars is the most against any Canada West program dating back to the teams inception into the conference in 2011-12
- While these two teams did not meet up last season, they faced off in 2016 in Kelowna with each team earning a victory in the two game set.
Scouting the Cougars
- Coming off a 1-19 season, Mount Royal has yet to win a conference game in six tries so far this season, although four of their opening six games have come on the road against nationally ranked Manitoba and Trinity Western.
- The combined records of their three opponents is currently 15-1 as UNBC is currently unbeaten and was the Cougars first opponent.
- One of the youngest teams in all of U SPORTS, the Cougars feature eight first year players which is the most among Canada West schools.
Players to watch:
- Guard Maddison Hooper has been the leading scorer for the Cougars six games into the Canada West campaign as the Australian is averaging 12.2 points a contest thanks to her making nearly three triples a game.
- One of the few veterans on the team, forward Sydney Tabin is the other Mount Royal player averaging double-figures at 10.7 points a contest. Tabin also leads the team in rebounding at 7.7 boards a game.